TOOLBOX TALK – HEALTH & SAFETY REFRESHER
Introduction: All persons on site have a legal responsibility for health and safety and to conduct their activities in a safe manner, This duty applies both to yourself and to your workmates.
- Safety culture is when people think and act safely even when no-one is looking!
- Safety signs don’t prevent accidents – safe people and safe systems do!
- No system can be safe without the co-operation of all employers and employees. It is a team effort requiring awareness and alertness on the part of everyone.
- Know the company’s safety policy, including the arrangements.
- Use and maintain PPE provided – report any defects immediately.
- Do your bit to keep the site tidy, in good order, and safe.
- Obey all warning signs.
- Never operate plant or equipment unless suitably competent/trained.
- Never interfere with the likes of guard-rails, ladders, etc.
- Never interfere or misuse safety equipment such as fire extinguishers.
- Never throw things from height, always lower properly.
- Never take short cuts – they rarely are!
- Only ever use authorised access/egress routes.
- Store/stack materials sensibly, especially if at height.
- Check substances before use – are they hazardous? Inflammable?
- Be alert in vicinity of mobile plant.
- Be aware of trespassers – if you don’t recognise someone, ask them who they are looking for and direct them to the site manager.
- Constantly think safety on site. Be on the lookout for unsafe practices, defective equipment, excessive waste build up, etc, and report such to site managers – NEVER turn a blind eye!
REMEMBER THAT SAFETY IS EVERYONE’S BUSINESS