Toolbox Talk TT01 – Abrasive Wheels
This talk will cover hazards and using portable and bench-mounted abrasive wheels.
- The speed of the machine must no exceed the maximum permissible speed of the wheel. Many accidents are caused by the wheel over speeding.
- Don’t exert heavy pressure on the wheel.
- Never use the side of the wheel. Keep your fingers away from the cutting edge of the wheel.
- Ear and eye protection must always be worn.
USING PORTABLE ABRASIVE WHEELS
- Don’t mount an abrasive wheel unless authorised in writing and trained to do so.
- Only reinforced discs to be used on hand-held machines.
- Check the maximum wheel speed is greater than the maximum spindle speed before fitting.
- Adjust the guards to expose the minimum wheel surface necessary for the operation.
- Be aware of other workers in your area, don’t put them at risk by your actions.
USING BENCH MOUNTED ABRASIVE WHEELS
- Adjust the tool rest as close as possible to face of wheel.
- Keep the glass screen is the safety position.
- Keep your fingers below the tool rest level.
- Use the correct grade of wheel for the work in hand.
- Keep the face of the wheel evenly dressed.
- After fitting, run a replacement wheel for a full minute before attempting to use it. Stand clear during the test.
- Stop the wheel when not in use.
Note to the supervisor: Now inform your workforce of the company policy regarding the working with abrasive wheels.
REMEMBER ABRASIVE WHEELS MUST ONLY BE FITTED BY A TRAINED AND COMPETENT PERSON.
Do you have any questions for me?