SIEMENS Project Alert – Working, Walking in and around Birmingham New Street Station
Following a recent event on ‘Station Street’ the rear of Birmingham New Street Station (Ramp access into Platform 12/ East Dock) a rapid fire firearm was discharged from the rear of a slow moving vehicle at project staff that were stood outside the station.
On this occasion nobody was injured.
The Police attended site and statements taken.
Further investigation, it was actually an ‘Airsoft’ GEL pellet semi-automatic gun that was fired at the staff. This has become a trend on a social media site of drive by shooting
- Every effort must be made to minimise interaction with the public
- No lone working/ walking outside the station (where possible)
- Immediately inform the Duty Manager/ Safe Work Manager/Station Duty Manager of any incidents involving the public.
- Don’t intervene in any activities where the public are involved. – Report to the Police
- If you see something suspicious in and around the station report it immediately to station staff.
- If you see any objects/ bags etc stashed in unusual location report it to station staff.
- If you see any suspicious packaged on the track, report it immediately to the Duty Manager/ Safe Work Manager who will inform the police. (Improvised Explosive Device – IED – event in St Helens.- Volker Rail 07/09/22)