Electrification Construction Services Ltd
Unit 9, Wheelock Heath Business Court
Safety Toolbox Talk - Terrorism/Security Threats
Although rare the threat from terrorism/firearm and other weapons to the UK remains both real and serious.
An attack could take place at any time without warning with the company and its employees affected – from the disruption caused by the use of its premises or vehicle and in the worst case, staff caught directly in the midst of a violent attack.
The 'stay safe' principles detailed below give some simple actions to consider at an incident and the information that Armed Officers may need in the event of a weapons or firearm attack:
- Escape if you can
- Consider the safest options
- Is there a safe route? Run if not hide
- Can you get there without exposing yourself to greater Danger?
- Insist others leave with you
- Leave belongings behind
- If you cannot run, hide
- Find cover from gunfire
- If you can see the attacker, they may be able to see you.
- Cover from view does not mean you are safe, bullets go
- Through glass, brick, wood and metal
- Find cover from gunfire e.g. Substantial brickwork/heavy
- Reinforced walls
- Be aware of your exits
- Try not to get trapped
- Be quiet, silence your phone
- Lock/barricade yourself in
- Move away from the door
- Call 999 – What do the police need to know? If you cannot speak or make a noise listen to the instructions given to you by the call taker:
- Location – Where are the suspects?
- Direction – Where did you last see the suspects?
- Descriptions – Describe the attacker, numbers, features, clothing, weapons etc.
- Further information – Casualties, type of injury, building information, entrances, exits, hostages etc.
- Stop other people entering the building/area if it is safe to do so
ARMED POLICE RESPONSE
- Follow Officer’s Instructions
- Remain Calm
- Can You Move to a Safer Area?
- Avoid Sudden Movements That May Be Considered A Threat
- Keep Your Hands in View
- Point Guns at You
- Treat You Firmly
- Question You
- Be Unable to Distinguish You from the Attacker
- Officers Will Evacuate You When It Is Safe to Do So
Discuss the Likelihood of an Attack and where security threat information can be sought:
Security Service website at www.mi5.gov.uk
Be aware of suspicious activity!
Who should suspicious activity be reported to?
How to keep safe