Safety Alert – Working under OLE – Road Rail Vehicle
During preparation works at West Drayton, a Komatsu PW 160 RRV made contact with the underside of the OLE while undertaking scrap removal. The incident caused minor damage to a registration arm, requiring repair works to be undertaken by the local maintenance team.
KEY FINDINGS FROM INCIDENT:
Work was planned to be undertaken using extended towbars to increase radius and reduce lifting height but correct pipes didn’t arrive on site. The team had to use shorter towbars which increased lifting height.
Visibility was reduced because of ice fog and artificial lighting in the area.
Height limiters where not used.
ACTIONS – ALL INVOLVED IN TASK:
- Check all equipment is in place and safe for use.
- Undertake a take 5 and perform a dynamic risk assessment if conditions change on-site
- Utilise additional safety controls and mechanisms if required i.e. Slew limiters and height restrictors
- If you don’t feel like you can complete the work safely stop!!!
ACTIONS -MANAGERS / SUPERVISORS:
- During prep for safety highlight additional risks on site i.e. low overheads, structures and then utilise plant that best suits the environment.
- Check all plant and equipment on arrival
- Make sure all staff fully understand work and all hazards involved.
- During works mandate the use of slew restrictors and height limiters
- If site team doesn’t feel safe – stop work, encourage feedback and replan