SAFETY ALERT – RRV COLLISION WITH A TAMPER
During SRSA core renewal works at Shotwick blockade on the 8th March 2023, an RRV was profiling ballast when it came into contact with a stationary tamper. This is an extremely serious incident and alert issued to raise awareness.
Investigations are on going.
- Machine Controllers (MC) must always walk with machine and position yourself in a safe position where you can maintain an exclusion zone and see all upcoming hazards
- Machine Operators (MO) make sure your MC is with you at all times and agree communications prior to the activity. If you are unable to establish clear lines of communication, stop works and make contact with MC.
- Never enter an exclusion unless given permission by the MO and MC, if unsure of exclusion zones ask your supervisor.
- MC/MO always use an approved method of communication (Dect Comm) and test prior to use
PROJECT MANAGERS / SUPERVISORS:
- Make sure all exclusions are briefed to site operatives prior to works beginning.
- Ensure everyone is rebriefed if controls/conditions change, and confirm understanding.
- Always make sure adequate resource is available before works are undertaken.
- Raise awareness with teams via safety briefs and log a safety conversastion on CARL.