SAFETY ALERT NRX21-05 - FIRE ON TAMPING MACHINE
At 05:29 on 23rd April 2021, a Matissa B41 Tamper suffered a major engine compartment fire causing disruption to train services between Orpington and Sevenoaks.
The line was blocked and an Emergency Switch Off (ESO) was implemented to enable the Fire Brigade to attend the scene.
Thankfully there were no injuries as a result of this incident.
Whilst it is too early to identify the exact cause of the fire there are some similarities to an engine compartment fire that occurred on another B41 Tamper around 3 years ago.
The fire risk is not restricted to Matissa B41 Tampers, the potential exists for any item of rolling stock or On-Track Machine with an enclosed engine room.
- Are maintenance regimes adequate to address the potential fire risk.
- Are regular inspections carried out to check the condition, security and integrity of all electrical connections in engine rooms.
- Are regular checks carried out on all hydraulic hoses in engine rooms.
- Are all hoses and electric cables routed away from potential risk areas whenever possible.
- Are all hose leaks in engine rooms addressed as soon as they are identified.
- Where fitted, is the fire suppression system tested on a regular basis.
- Are all sources of high heat which could cause combustion clean from fluids/debris such as engine manifolds and turbo pipe exhaust outlets.
DOWNLOAD THE BULLETIN