SAFETY ALERT – LOSS OF LOAD FROM VEHICLE MOUNTED CRANE
A recent High Potential Near Miss has been reported when an External Haulier dropped a Triple Wacker Plate whilst lifting it using his Lorry Mounted Crane.
The Investigation has identified that at some point, the proprietary D shackle permanently fitted to the Triple Wacker Plate was removed and replaced with another type of D shackle.
The replacement shackle was non-compliant, not tightened and was not checked by the driver prior to lifting. During the lifting operation the bolt became free of the thread causing the D shackle to open and the Triple Wacker Plate to fall.
- The D shackle fitted to the Triple Wacker Plate was not the correct shackle for this equipment.
- The correct shackle for the Triple Wacker Plate should have a securing pin to prevent the Bolt/Nut becoming loose when the Wacker Plate is in use (as per image above)
- The PHI and Thorough Examination report for the Triple Wacker Plate indicates that the correct shackle was in place at the time of delivery to the customer.
- The Driver did not carry out a pre use visual inspection of the lifting equipment / accessories prior to load / unload.
- The Driver did not carry out a test lift to check the security of the load being lifted