SAFETY ALERT – INJURY TO THE WELDERS EYE – INCORRECT USE OF FAULTY EQUIPMENT
On 20/05/2023 during blockade works at Newtown for SRSA a Welder was using a weld trimmer.
During the operation the hydraulics on the trimmer failed, the handle slipped and made contact with the corner of the operatives eye causing a minor laceration and slight bruising.
A bolt connecting the hydraulics had sheared during the previous weld.
The Welder had made the site aware and a fitter was en-route to make repairs.
Whilst waiting for the fitter, the Welder decided to make a quick fix using a piece of wire.
The wire snapped during the operation and the handle flung back hitting the operative on the corner of his eye.
This incident could have resulted in a significant eye injury and is fortunate to have suffered minor a cut below the eye.
- If any equipment/powered tools break down or become unsafe – quarantine or stop use and arrange a repair.
- Only ever use tools and equipment as designed.
- Don’t make repairs to the equipment unless you’re trained, competent and have the correct tools.
- Always wear the correct PPE for any tools or equipment you are using.
- Undertake daily checks before using any equipment.
- If equipment breaks or the task becomes unsafe stop and inform site supervision.