SAFETY ALERT – HAND TROLLEY DE-RAILS ON THE UP POPLAR LINE AT OOC
On the 17th Dec, 2023 at 04:10, a hand trolley being pushed on the Up Poplar Line derailed at 8122A points. The trolley was moved from the Down Poplar to allow a maintenance RRV through. The team had left the trolley on this line when work could not be continued. They were pushing the trolley back to egress when the incident occurred.
- The Trolley Op and COSS did not inspect the points to ensure they were normalised and set in the correct direction before proceeding through.
- A third-party team working in this area and responsible for ensuring the points were normalised did not do so before leaving site the shift prior.
- The Point Protocol was not observed as there was no Til Dawn Lamp placed at the points.
SAFETY CRITICAL & TROLLEY OPs
- Remember to check all points are set in the right position for any trolley or RRV movement.
- Take 5 and follow Colas Work Safe Procedure when site conditions don’t seem safe as failure to do so could lead to unplanned event.
- Always complete the Points Operator Points Movement form liaising with the ES when your duty is PO.
SUPERVISORS / PIC / ES
- Do a Worksite/Dynamic risk assessment and agree with the team on the safest method of work.
- Liaise with third parties working in the vicinity to resolve hazardous conditions.
- Observe the Points Protocol (NR/L3/OPS/255 ) and ensure Til Dawn Lamps are placed at points to remind safety critical staff
LIFESAVING – RULES
Never commence work until you are certain site conditions are safe to carry out your task