IMMEDIATE SAFETY ALERT – 02/05/2021
COLLISION BETWEEN ROAD RAIL VEHICLES RESULTING IN SERIOUS INJURY
To: All staff involved in the on-site movements of RRVs.
At approximately 0700 on the 2nd of May 2021, a collision between a Doosan Long Reach Crane and a Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP) occurred when transiting to the site access point at Wickford in Essex, at shift changeover.
The MEWP stopped and the jib of the Doosan, which was travelling behind struck the MEWP basket, inflicting crush injuries on the Machine Operator and Machine Controller who were both situated in the MEWP basket.
The Machine Operator sustained life changing injuries.
The Controller and Operator of the Doosan were uninjured, although it was identified that they were both riding in the Doosan at the time of the collision.
RAIB and ORR investigations are still ongoing, but a number of initial significant learning points have been identified.
IMMEDIATE LEARNING POINTS:
- Machine Controllers and Machine Operators must be in their correct positions before and during the movement of RRVs.
- The Machine Controller must not be on or in the vehicle whilst it is travelling.
- Sufficient distance must be maintained between machines in the event one has to come to a sudden stop
- This includes distances between machine apparatus such telescopic booms etc.
- Machine Operators and Machine Controllers must have suitable communication devices (e.g. DECT Comms)
- Staff must declare to their relevant Supervisors/Managers if they have not been able to achieve the required door to door policy, in place for their organisation.
A follow up Safety Alert will be issued within the next few days by the Safety Team.