SAFETY ALERT – COLAS RAIL – RAIL SAW VEGETATION FIRE
SRSA works were being completed at Clapham Jnc Ladder, on 26th March 2022.
An Operative was using a rail saw to cut rail, where sparks projected on to the CESS causing the vegetation to catch fire.
The fire was put out, but it had to be smothered with shovels because there wasn’t a fire extinguisher at the hot works location.
This may have led to the fire spreading, uncontrolled.
The weather is warming up and vegetation is becoming dry and very flammable, so when setting up to undertake a cut, please be aware of the direction the sparks are being projected and any flammable materials within the vicinity.
LIFESAVING RULES: Working Responsibly
- Make sure all controls stated within the hot works permit are in place prior to cut.
- Remove any flammable materials from within the vicinity of the cut.
- Make sure sparks are being projected away from any vegatation or flammable materials.
- Make sure fire fighting equipment is with you and at place of cut at all times.
- Make sure hot works permits are in place and staff are briefed on controls.
- Make sure staff are trained and competent to use fire extingushers.
- Risks and controls are also within TBS.
- Make sure all hots works is managed and compliant with HS-A3-08.
- Hot works are inspected during safety tours.