Electrification Construction Services Ltd
Unit 9, Wheelock Heath Business Court
SAFETY ADVICE - NRB21-02 CARNFORTH SMTH IRREGULARITY
On 23rd February 2021 an engineering assurance inspection discovered an uninsulated wire had been left in situ for 9 months following internal wire renewals conducted by Network Rail.
It was found that wires were not appropriately recovered or sleeved following the work.
It was also noted the signalling diagrams were missing from the location case 5/6A.
The incident is subject to an investigation which will establish the sequence of events that led up to the unsafe condition and any underlying causes.
The incident follows three similar signal testing irregularities in the last 18 months on the NW&C Region and follows a wider national trend.
As a result, the following discussion points are recommended:
- Never undertake any job unless you have been trained and assessed as competent.
- Are you and your team clear on the standards and policy regarding temporary and permanent wire disconnection?
- Have you got a clear testing plan that has beenchecked?, Do you have enough time to work correctly through the plan?
- Whenever making signalling disconnections the tester shall ensure that any bare conductors (e.g. relay spades, ring crimps, etc.) are suitably insulated, This shall be done in accordance with General Instructions to Staff Working on S&T Equipment (NR/L3/SIG/10064), E052.
- When undertaking maintenance remain vigilant and report any defects to your line manager.
DOWNLOAD THE BULLETIN