Electrification Construction Services Ltd
Unit 9, Wheelock Heath Business Court
TOOL BOX TALK - MOBILE ELEVATING WORK PLATFORMS
This talk will cover: the hazards and safe operating methods for MEWPs.
- 1. Operatives falling from height due to unsafe work practices.
- 2. Overturning of the machine due to poor operating technique or unsatisfactory ground conditions.
- 3. Collision with other vehicles (knuckle or elbow of boom moving into the path of other traffic).
- 4. Tools and materials, etc, falling from heights.
- 5. Contact with high level, live electrical cables and other obstructions.
- 6. Exhaust fumes, if used in confined areas.
- 7. High wind speeds and other adverse weather conditions.
- 1. All operators of MEWPs must be trained in their use.
- 2. Operators should only operate the types of MEWPs for which they have been trained.
- 3. Always check that the machine is stable before use.
- 4. Use outriggers or stabilisers, where necessary.
- 5. Except for scissor lifts, users should wear safety harness clipped to the correct anchorage point on the machine.
- 6. Ensure that the ground conditions are suitable for the type of machine in use.
- 7. Do not load the machine beyond its safe working load.
- 8. If your work involves removing equipment or materials from a structure, don’t forget to allow for the extra weight.
- 9. When manoeuvring in confined area or where members of the public are at risk, always use a signaller.
- 10. Be prepared to stop work and return to ground level if the wind speed or weather conditions deteriorate to an unacceptable level.
DOWNLOAD THE TOOLBOX TALK